Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Collage 146


Introducing Adrienne Wetmore, a friend of Lynn's. Adrienne spent the day with us in the studio on July 2. We (Adrienne, Lynn, Emma and I) made a record number of collages that day -- I think 14 in all. It was an exciting, high-energy day. The kind of creative energy that Team Tolstoy loves. Here is what Adrienne has to say:

When Lynn told me about this collaboration and asked if I would contribute to the project, I was a little nervous, having taken a long hiatus from art. My jitters were quieted at once by the wonderful energy in the studio - I may actually have gotten high from the support!

I love typeface, numbers, calligraphy, script. The 1 2 3 piece began using the numbers as a placeholder, devoid of meaning, though I had a nagging feeling that they could go the other way. Laura referenced the text, saying we were now at War. Maybe the numbers are something ominous (I vaguely remember a painting that bluntly counted dead bodies), or maybe they're just happy little blackboard symbols..?

1 2 3 felt heavy. I wanted to lighten up with the pieces that came after. I will comment on those when they are posted in a few days.

Thank you Team Tolstoy for a great day. It was an honor to have taken
part in this collaboration. -- Adrienne

Adrienne Wetmore
from page 299-300 of original text
collage, acrylic paint
made 7/2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment