Thursday, March 18, 2010

Collage 3

One of my big pleasures in life is reading a book in bed. Definitely at night before sleep, but sometimes in the morning, drinking coffee. That is the most delicious time. I started the introduction last night and was swept back in time, to when I was a Russian major in college. One semester we tackled "Anna Karenina" as well as "War and Peace". Maybe a few of his short stories as well. The book is so big that is somewhat clumsy to maneuver. A book to read sitting up, not lying down.

I began to recall the heady feelings I had back in those days, that was inspired by Russian literature. Or matched by. The introduction describes Tolstoy as groping for the truth about life. If you are too direct, you simplify too much. So you go around and around until you get it just right. At that time my vision for life was to have a manual job -- to live economically like a common person, but to be an intellectual. I never had the mind of a pure intellectual and eventually I decided that working as a cook at a country club after college wasn't exactly what I wanted, either.

Friday is studio day. It is the highlight of my week, to spend time making art with my friends, embarking on this creative journey together. - Lola

Lola Baltzell
page 13-14 of original text
made 12/29/09
collage and acrylic paint on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment