Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Collage 57


Lynn Waskelis
from page 121-122 of original text
collage and acrylic on paper
made on 4-2-10

I love this one of Lynn's!

Here is something that Otto emailed recently: "The map in "Russian" is actually Bulgarian -- an old communist era road map of Bulgaria that I somehow inherited. I started looking for some real Russian maps but didn't have enough time so I had to settle for the Bulgarian. Real Russophiles would probably spot the difference in a flash, but for the rest of us it looks close enough. I will now renew my efforts to find "real" Russian maps, and maybe French maps, for future collages. I love maps and geography and topography and also feel maps fit well with this project. War & Peace not only tells a story that covers a long period of time and involves a lot of people, it also occupies a lot of physical space. Characters are constantly traveling. Scenes are set in places as far apart as BrĂ¼nn (now Brno in the Czech Republic), Vienna, Berlin and Potsdam, St. Petersburg, Smolensk, Moscow etc."

That's rather embarrassing -- I thought the map he used was Russian, not Bulgarian! -- Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment