Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Collage 65


Lola Baltzell
from page 137-138 of original text
collage and acrylic on paper
made on 4-9-10

I think that this is one of mine, but can't always tell.

We are in a new phase of the project. Lynn and I are going to be in a gallery show in July, so have been preparing artist statements for that. Through the process of thinking and writing for that show, we have been thinking more about this project and trying to articulate: why in the world would anyone get so obsessed with this thing? It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my madness. Everyone involved has caught the "bug". It is so compelling. The other morning I biked all the way across town, thinking about this. The first thing that came to mind is more of a quip than anything else. One of our most intelligent friends in college, Jenny Taylor, had a ready answer when you'd ask her "why?". Invariably, she would answer "why not?". So my reason for doing this project is, "why not?".

Yesterday I contacted the college which 4 of us graduated from. My query was to see if they would be interested in showing our project at some point. I did it on a whim. I had just received an alumni magazine that featured a story of yoga being taught in one of the galleries. I thought -- give it a shot! I'd sure like to practice yoga, surrounded by War and Peace. -- Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment