Monday, May 10, 2010

Collage 56


Lola Baltzell
from page 119-120 of original text
collage and acrylic on paper
made on 4-2-10

Otto sent the following note when he mailed the collage back. He said, "as for my collage itself... I sort of 'like' it as an object, but it 'means' nothing that I recognize. When I do a representational drawing or painting it reflects an experience from my life -- a landscape, a person, a mood. This collage doesn't contain that connection for me."

Many people have voiced this. We talk about it amongst ourselves. Lulu has asked this.

For me there is something so appealing about tacking such a big project. I love the script itself. That's actually what drew me to the language in college -- I loved the look of the letters. So I still don't know "why" -- I just know that this project is the most compelling thing I've ever done. I'm excited. It has taken on a life of it's own -- I'm just following the impulse. -- Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment