Thursday, September 2, 2010

Collage 170


I have loved Otto's last 3 collages. We are all eager for him to do more -- including Otto! Lulu was saying yesterday that she loves how he works with the story line. He doesn't do literal translation, ie illustration, but rather evokes the feeling of the text. I think we all feel from time to time -- how can I follow that act? I definitely feel that way now, but here goes...

Underneath, I used a page from a thesaurus with the word "war". There were quite a few entries including "declare" an.d "of words" and "correspondent".

On this page of the test, Prince Andrei is anticipating battle. He can hear, through the fog, exchanges of fire between unseen troops. He wonders where the battle will take place and says silently, "it's there that I'll be sent with a brigade or division, and there, with a standard in my hand, I'll go forward and crush everything ahead of me". -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 347-348 of original text
collage, acrylic paint, stencil
made 7/23/10

No comments:

Post a Comment