Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Collage 169

Our friend Otto writes: The photos that I used in this collage came from newspaper reports on the forest fires that caused so much destruction in Russia and shrouded Moscow in smoke for several weeks this summer. I clipped the photos because the fires in Russia reminded me of the burning of Moscow in 1812 which Tolstoy describes much later in War and Peace. That has nothing to do with the Battle of Austerlitz, which is only just getting started on this page, but I thought the imagery fit anyway and I didn't want to sit on those clippings until sometime in 2012 when we finally get to the Battle of Borodino and the fall of Moscow.

Otto Mayr
from page 345-346 of original text
collage, acrylic paint, burned paper
made 8/21/10
Berlin, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment