Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Collage 224

In this scene (Volum.e II, Part Two, Chapter IV) Pierre completes his Masonic vows. I love religious language and texts so I used bits of a catholic mass here.

Here is part of the vows as read by the grand master: "in our temples we know no other distinctions... than those between virtue and vice. Beware of making any distinction that may violate equality. Fly to air your brother, whoever he may be, instruct him who errs, raise up the fallen, and never nurse any malice or enmity against your brother. Be gentle and affable. Arouse the fire of virtue in all hearts. Share your happiness with your neighbor, and let envy never cloud this pure delight."

As I'm reading this passage, I remember for the first time in decades that my Russian grandfather was a member of one of these groups -- but I can't remember if it was the Shriners, the Masons... that whole generation has died so there is no one to ask. I recall being fascinated as a little girl by the strange and curious things he had around this house. The tall hat, the pins. -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 455-456 of original text
collage
made 9/10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment