Sunday, October 24, 2010

Collage 222

In this scene, Volume II, Part Two, chapter III, Pierre is taking his Masonic vows. The rhetor says, "As a sign of generosity, I ask that you give me all your valuables."

Pierre replies, "But I have nothing with me," mistakenly thinking that he was being asked to give up all of his wealth. The rhetor clarified that he was only asking for what Pierre had on his person, i.e. a watch, money, rings.

The rhetor then asked Pierre to undress! Then to confess his weakness which is women. The rhetor says, "I tell you for the last time: turn all your attention to yourself, lay chains upon your feelings, and seek blessedness not in passions, but in your own heart... The source of blessedness is not outside, but inside us..." -- Lola


Lola Baltzell
from page 451-452 of original text
collage, acrylic paint
made 9/10/10
page 358-359 of Pevear/Volokhonsky translation

No comments:

Post a Comment