Saturday, July 2, 2011

Collage 452

In this scene, Princess Marya falls into a reverie, reflecting on her father's death. It breaks your heart, her wish that her father had called for her on his deathbed, rather than one of the servants. Even with his rejection of her, she still faults herself for standing outside his door and not entering (against his wishes).

"'My God!' Why didn't I go in then? What would he have done to me? What would I have lost? And perhaps then he would have been comforted and would have told he his word."

Is she a martyr in a neurotic way, or just advanced in her spiritual practices? I am fascinated by her. -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 159-160, Volume 2 of original text
collage, ink
made 4/1/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 728-729

No comments:

Post a Comment