Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Collage 132

These last 5 collages were made one Friday in mid-June. I was gallery sitting, but it was very slow with few [if any?] visitors. I set myself up on a temporary built-in shelf and worked side-by-side with Joan Ryan and Chris Chou. In this piece, I was trying to respond to Chris' palette and sense of design.

The scene is Pierre proposing to Helene. I think that Lulu wrote about this in a previous posting. Helene's parents are thrilled with the match as Pierre has just inherited a fortune even though he was an illegitimate son.

"All this had to be so and could not be otherwise," thought Piere, "therefore there's no point in asking whether it's good or bad. It's good because it's definite, and there's no more old tormenting doubt." Pierre silently held his fiancee's hand and looked at her beautiful breast rising and falling.

Doesn't he sound like a big oaf? In later scenes, it turns out that he was a real womanizer. That doesn't make any sense to me. Does he sound like a real lady's man? -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 271-272 of original text
collage, acrylic paint
made 6/18/10

No comments:

Post a Comment