Thursday, July 15, 2010

Collage 122

This piece was also inspired by our scrap box maven Lynn, so I'll attribute it to her as well as Emma's last piece. She loves to use tiny human figures and other similar elements. One of my passions is gardening, so at some point some plants and trees had to show up in my pieces. I was also following Emma's lead with the embroidery thread.

Last night I read the heart-wrenching scene where Nicolai Rostov is playing cards with shyster Dolokhov (and to think that earlier on I was enamored with his bad-boy self). Nicolai loses not only badly (Dolokhov was cheating) but basically the family fortune. This is after Dolokhov had proposed to Sonia, Nicolai's long-term love. There is a marked card in the deck. A "7". I will ask to reserve that page, and will use one of the playing cards that Emma brought in recently. Watch out, I am getting illustrative! -- Lola
Lola Baltzell
from page 251-252 of original text
collage, acrylic paint, embroidery thread
made 6/4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment