Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Collage 86

I hardly recognize this as my piece. For so many years my work was very tight with neat, clean lines. Whether painting or collage. Since starting this project, I learned about a technique using acrylic paint and vaseline. You apply vaseline and paint over it with acrylic paint. After it dries, you wipe away the vaseline and paint on top of it. This gives a smeary, loose effect. It is unpredictable -- I like the element of surprise.

On page 206-207, Pierre is talking with Anna Pavlovna, an "older" woman. She asks him whether he is angry with her for speaking her mind, then pauses for his reply. The narrator comments, "as women always pause and wait for something after referring to their age". That is spot on. I do that all the time. Busted! All of us middle-aged ladies want to hear, "but you don't look that old!" -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 179-180 of original text
collage, acrylic paint, block print

No comments:

Post a Comment