Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Collage 85

What a delight to have added blue. It opened up a whole new range of possibilities!

I have no idea what was happening on this page of our original text. It probably falls somewhere in the war scenes of Part Two. It doesn't matter to me at all. With a few exceptions, I always work abstractly, non-representationally. I started my "artist" life relatively late, about 20 years ago. The first painting I did was a landscape, as was the second. At that point, I ditched any attempt to work realistically. With the exception of a few self-portraits in the last few years. But that's another story.

If you want representational, use a camera. Photography is a perfect medium to capture "what is". I take lots of photographs, too. But I am interested in the process of art-making. A photograph is a moment in time. Art-making is your energy, your soul expressing itself.

A few months ago I happened to notice that the source page I was using included the word "Boston". Apparently Boston was some sort of parlor game -- as well as the city which Team Tolstoy calls home. I attempted to write "Boston" in Russian as part of the collage, but it looked so wrong. So I worked over it. Took it right out. Responding to the text is of no interest to me. I love the sheer volume of this project. I am bored by representational work. Give me abstract -- it is visually interesting -- and everyone responds to it differently. That is exciting. That is compelling.

Lola Baltzell
from page 177-178 of original text
made 4/30/10
collage, acrylic paint, India ink

No comments:

Post a Comment