Thursday, April 1, 2010

Collage 17

This one of mine. I was in India in late January. One of my desires was to find a used bookstore and buy a bunch of books -- any subject, any Indian language -- to use for collage. My friend Chitra steered me to a wonderful, musty shop in Bangalore just off MG Road, "Blossom". After some frustration, explaining what I was looking for, a string of young guys walked me up to the top floor where I found a motherlode of dictionaries, a text by Lenin, all kinds of treasures. This collage is the first that contains ephemera from that genre. It kind of fits, in a way. Lulu referenced a letter that Tolstoy had written to Ghandi on the subject of passive resistance.

Tomorrow is Team Tolstoy day in the studio. Can't wait! -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
page 41-42 of original text
made 3/12/10
collage and acrylic paint on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment