Monday, March 22, 2010

Collage 7

Good thing that we are labeling the back of each collage with artist, page number and date, because already I can't remember if Lynn or I made this one. It was at this point in the project that Lynn joined. We tease other about who has the more whacky sense of color and design -- all in good fun. We enjoy trying to imitate each other from time to time. That's part of our process, working side by side, to play off of each other.

I have to say that my only previous experience with artistic collaboration turned out to be kind of a disaster. In 2008, The Zendai Museum of Modern Art in Shanghai had a year-long project called Intrude 366. Through a juried process, they chose an individual artist or creative team from around the world to respond to the idea of how the West influenced China and how China influenced the West. Every day of 2008, there was a different public presentation. Some of the artists were famous such as Yoko Ono. I was part of a 4-person group chosen to participate. I was unable to go to China due to an acute health situation, but the others were able to present our piece entitled "Eye to Eye" in December 2008.

We had all been pretty good friends, but it all fell apart once we began to work on this project. There was a lot of conflict about our individual roles. Due to my health, I was taking shortcuts to be able to finish my part on time. One of the others in the group thought that we weren't being true to our proposal, others thought that we were following the creative group process and ended up with a different "product" than was initially intended. It was quite a disappointment. So collaboration can go sour, too.

That being said, I enter this collaboration with heart wide open. -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
page 21-22 of original text
made 3/5/10
collage and acrylic paint on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment