Monday, March 29, 2010

Collage 14

In Volume I, Part I, Chapter VI, Prince Andrei says to Pierre, "Never, never marry, my friend... marry when you're old and good for nothing... otherwise all that's good and lofty in you will be lost". Strong words there! Prince Andrei prefers to go into the army, rather than remain with his pregnant wife.

I saw the film "The Last Station" a few weeks ago which is about the last year of Tolstoy's life. He and his wife are depicted as having an extremely conflictual relationship. He had founded a sort of commune which promoted celibacy and vegetarianism. She was also worried that his "advisors" would leave her penniless. He planned to leave the royalties from his books to the Russian people. She thought that the money should go to her. He died in a train station after literally running away from home.

In any case, it got me thinking about how some people think that having a "creative" life is at odds with a committed relationship. I have a friend from college, a songwriter and recording artist. He always felt that he did his best work when he was single, and feared getting involved, that it would hamper his creative output.

Lynn and I were talking sometime back about the "ideal" of a creative partnership. She gave a few examples, including Virginia Woolf and her husband Leonard. I pointed out that Virginia drowned herself. So much for that idea.

Why would that character be so adamantly anti-marriage? -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
page 35-36 of original text
made 3/12/10
collage and acrylic paint on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment