Sunday, March 28, 2010

Collage 13

On Friday we began to use the German text that another artist gave to me. The book I had received in the mail a few days ago. I had torn out a page and glued it down, when Lynn took a closer look at the book. On the title page was the date 1784. It is obviously really, really old -- but could it be that old? Lynn began to question whether it could be an antique? Worth money? Something that should be left intact? I felt so guilty. When I do collage with kids, they feel a mixture of guilt and pleasure as they tear up books. I felt sheer guilt. The artist who gave it to me told me that he got it -- actually a whole series of 7 books -- from a used book dealer friend of his. I wonder if we should have someone else look at, to determine what it really is? Neither of us read classical German so I don't even know the title.

I was a Russian studies major in college. Yesterday for the first time in almost 30 years, I pulled my first year textbooks off the shelf. I am inspired to refresh my memory, to be able to read even a bit. We are working with such a rich text. Reading Russian would be yet another way to more deeply connect with this project. --Lola

Lynn Waskelis
page 33-34 of original text
made 3/12/10
collage and acrylic paint on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment