Friday, July 1, 2011

Collage 451

In this scene (Volume III, Part Two, Chapter X and XI), the old prince has just died, and Princess Marya has to decide how and when to leave their country estate as the French troops are surrounding them. I have developed a special fondness for her. We sometimes discuss our favorite characters when we work, and I always am a big fan of Princess Marya. I relate to her mostly because I, too, have a tyrannical father figure. It bothers me greatly how abusive he is to her in each and every scene. I was happy that he died, actually. Now she can be free to live her own life. Of course women in her day had extremely limited choices, but I hope she finds her way!

"It was strange for Princess Marya to think that now, at a moment when such grief filled her soul, there could be rich and poor people, and that the rich would not help the poor." She is so thoughtful and sensitive. I am rooting for her! -- Lola



Lola Baltzell
from page 157-158, Volume 2 of original text
collage
made 4/1/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 726-728

No comments:

Post a Comment