Monday, August 29, 2011

Collage 510

Matt Kish is our hero. If it weren't for Matt, this project would not exist. Lucy found his blog One Drawing for Every Page of Moby Dick and told me about it. I found it so inspiring, so delightful, that I decided to start our project!. His work was the spark that set us in motion. We are so indebted to Matt! We hope to meet in person at our opening this winter at New School in New York City. Matt, you rock! -- Lola

Well, here it is. My contribution to The War and Peace Project. I didn't want my piece to be wholly unrelated to the novel, but having never read it I was in a bit of a bind. Fortunately, conversations with a friend and some online sleuthing of pages 823 to 825 of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation revealed to me the French army, battered, bleeding and hiding in Moscow. I was rather taken with that image of a great beast laid low, licking its wounds, attempting nothing... impotent and enraged. I did, selfishly perhaps, want to reference Moby Dick as well, and oddly this passage offered the perfect opportunity. After that, it came together almost by itself. It is simpler, more illustration-oriented, and perhaps more literal than the preceeding images, but I do hope you like it. -- Matt

Matt Kish
from page 275-276, volume 2 of original text
collage, ink
made 7/1/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 823-825

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! Yes, I do believe 510 was the page I made the collage for. I know I sent it, and I remember getting an email from Lola that it had arrived. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt! Never fear! I have your collage! It got misplaced amidst the shuffle of preparing for our Russia trip. It will be posted as soon as Mark gets the chance to take a high-quality image of it! -- Lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it in Brookline the morning we left for Russia. It's beautiful. And apparently safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Matt!
    Love your contribution, and love the way you connected the two projects!

    ReplyDelete