Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Collage 406

Lucy Arrington
from page 67-68, volume 2 of original text
collage, ink, acrylic paint
made 2/25/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 653-654

Not my favorite. Here again I was trying to be free as Adrienne with the use of black. I think I'll leave the black to her!

In this piece I wanted to convey the confusion Rostov felt when in the midst of battle, he makes a daring strike on the French dragoons, picks out the officer he will attack, then at the last minute, holds back as he sees his enemy: "expecting a new blow any second, he winced, glancing up at Rostov from beow with an expression of terror. His face, pale and mud-spattered, fair-haired, young, with a dimple on the chin and light blue eyes was not at all for the battlefield, not an enemy's face, but a most simple, homelike face.

No comments:

Post a Comment