Friday, May 6, 2011

Collage 395

Some time ago Otto made a collage with burned edges. So this is a way to connect with him, even though he works in solitude in Berlin. We had made a lot of collages on this studio day. I was the last to leave the studio, and decided that it would be fun to burn some edges. Our studio neighbor is a famous photographer who specializes in disasters, mostly man-made. I borrowed matches from him as he also smokes a cigar once in a while. As I was burning away, I recalled an incident when I was a child. I and my brother set fire to a shed in the neighborhood while playing with matches. Take away message -- don't leave me alone in the studio! -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 45-46, Volume 2 of original text
collage, ink, matches!!
made 2/18/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 635-636

No comments:

Post a Comment