Thursday, March 31, 2011

Collage 359

Volume II, Part Five, Chapter XV. Sonia has become suspicious about Natasha's secret relationship (all of 3 days) with Anatole. Sonia reads a letter that Anatole sent to Natasha, and confronts her. Natasha maintains that she loves him and doesn't care about anything else. She discounts Sonia's concerns and says that Sonia can't possibly understand the kind of love she feels for Anatole.

People often ask if I read Russian. The answer is "no". Even though I spent 3 years in college studying the language. So long ago! However, I can identify simple sentences. Part of the text I used for this collage is Natasha saying, "I love him". This is such a wonderful project, because we all relate to it in so many different aspects. It has re-kindled my love of Russian language.

My maternal grandfather was Russian, although I never heard him speak it. I think I was also intrigued as a college student by the beauty of the Cyrillic letters. It took weeks of practice to be able to write them well. And the grammar -- it is complicated! And then the literature -- it doesn't get any better! So this project has connected me in so many different ways -- to my family history as well as my passionate youth . -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 725-726 of original text
collage, ink
made 1/28/11
page 577-578 Pevear/Volokhonsky translation

No comments:

Post a Comment