Sunday, March 6, 2011

Collage 334

I love Otto's idea of using his last collage for his phone wallpaper. I might do the same with this one which I find so life-affirming.

We are now in Volume II, Part Five, Chapters I and II. Pierre continues to struggle along. One of his solaces is reading. I totally get that. If I hadn't been a reader as a kid, I surely would have gone mad. One of the elements I used here is a sonnet as well as dictionary entries.

I have started to read the book again. I put it down for a few months. My goal is to keep ahead of where we are in the series. So if we finish the series in the fall, I hope to have finished reading the book by then, too.

"He frequented every possible society, drank heavily, bought paintings, built, but above all, he read.

He read, he read everything that came to hand, so that, on coming home, while the footmen were still undressing him, he would take up a book and read -- and from reading he would pass into sleep, and from sleep to chatter in drawing rooms and the club, from chatter to carousing and women, from carousing back to chatter, reading, and wine."

Poor Pierre. When I read about his struggles, how I wish he could find a spiritual teacher. Or a therapist. He really, really tries but is so completely lost that it is painful at times to watch him. So this beautiful hummingbird is my symbol of hope that he will find his way. -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 675-676 of original text
collage
made 1/14/11
page 538-539 Pevear/Volokhonsky translation

No comments:

Post a Comment