Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Collage 251


Here is a note that I received last week from Matt Kish, the creative genius behind One Drawing for Every Page of Moby Dick. Lucy Arrington initially contacted him to tell him about us and how his project was the spark behind ours. I emailed him a few days later myself. We are all huge fans of his. This project never would have started had it not been for him. So we owe a lot to him! Here is an excerpt of his email to me a few days ago which he gave me permission to post. -- Lola

It was a truly humbling experience to read about your project and learn that in some small way I was a part of the spark that inspired it. I've really never had anything like that happen to me (me inspiring someone else, I mean) so it's a really strange feeling. Good, but strange. You ask yourself a lot if you're really worthy of that kind of thing, you know? But it really did touch me very deeply, and made me very grateful that this project of mine has been able to reach out a bit beyond the damp and musty pages of Melville's own book and the minds of his admirers and into other people's lives in new and unexpected ways. Some time this week I will write a blog post about your project and hopefully point a few more people your war. Your project and your amazing art certainly deserve a great deal of respect and attention.

Lynn Waskelis
from page 509-510 of original text
collage, jelly pen, graphite
made 10/8/10
page 403-405 of Pevear/Volokhonsky translation

No comments:

Post a Comment