Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Collage 651

I have a studio in the same building as Team Tolstoy, and have been watching this project develop since it's inception over 2 years ago. I wandered down to visit Lola and Adrienne in mid-October while they were working away one Friday, and they invited me to make a collage. This is the second piece I have contributed. Although I have not read War and Peace recently, it is still accessible to me as an artist. Tolstoy uses such rich imagery. I responded to the image  of humming bees that were like music, so I wove the sheet music through the page. There was mention of soldiers marching, that image is also included, and the symbol of the angel as cloistral music. -- Joanie

Joan Ryan
from page 557-558, volume 2
collage
made 10/14/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 1055-1056

No comments:

Post a Comment