Monday, September 26, 2011

Collage 538

"At the sight of the strange city with the never-seen forms of it's extraordinary architecture, Napoleon experienced that somewhat envious and restless curiosity which people experience at the sight of alien forms of life that know nothing of them... Napoleon saw from Poklonnaya Hill the quivering of life in the city and felt, as it were, the breathing of that big and beautiful body."

In this collage I used a chocolate wrapper I brought back from a trip in 2006 to Pskov, Russia. The wrapper featured an image of Moscow and I wanted to mirror the onion-domed towers with shapes cut from magazines and the inner foil from another chocolate bar. (Eating chocolate is one of the ways in which I have always sacrificed for my art...)
-- Trish

Trish Crapo
from page 331-332, volume 2 of original text
collage
made June 14, 2011
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 870-871

No comments:

Post a Comment