Sunday, June 26, 2011

Collage 446

I was dazzled when I entered the studio on April 1 -- it was the first I'd seen of the three-dimensional collages. It caught me completely by surprise. I had been sick the week before. Would Lynn and Adrienne gone into that kind of work had I been there? Or had others been there? We are often heavily influenced by each other, but not necessarily. Would I have wanted to put the qua bash on that? Later in this series I did try to work with more depth to my pieces, but for the most part I've remained a "flat Stanley".

As I read through this passage (Volume III, Part Two, Chapter VIII and IX), here is what I underlined:

"As horses shy, crowd, and snort over a dead horse, so people crowded around the coffin in the drawing room -- strangers and and familiars, the marshal, and the headman, and peasant women -- and all with a fixed and frightened gaze crossed themselves and bowed, and kissed the cold and stiffened hand of the old prince." This was the demise of Prince Nikolai Andreevich Bolkonsky, father of Princess Marya and Prince Andrei. I was glad to see him go -- he was so horrible to Princess Marya! -- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 147-148, Volume 2 of original text
collage, ink
made 4/1/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 718-719

No comments:

Post a Comment