Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Collage 428

A few weeks ago I dusted my old Russian textbook off the shelf and have committed myself to study 10 minutes per day. Trish is doing the same. She read that recommendation in her book -- that it's better to study a few minutes every day than a large block of time less frequently. So I am once again amazed by how difficult Russian is. There are different verbs for going on foot vs. being transported. There are different prefixes for coming, going, going around, etc. And then the gender, number and perfect, past perfect, etc. It is humbling!

That said, I was thrilled to be able to identify the section of the text that I used for this collage. "'Ha, ha, ha! The theater of war!' said the prince. "I have said and I still say that the theater of war is Poland, and the enemy will never penetrate beyond the Niemen.'"

So here is the imaginary line beyond which the French army will not pass -- in pink! And street maps of Paris.-- Lola

Lola Baltzell
from page 111-112, Volume 2 of original text
collage, acrylic paint
made 3/10/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 688-689

No comments:

Post a Comment