Monday, October 24, 2011

Collage 566

Trish Crapo
from page 387-388, volume 2 of original text
collage, glitter, graphite
made 6/17/11
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 915-916

In this scene, Sonya tells her cousin Natasha to come to the window: "I think the whole of Moscow will burn down, it's such a terrible glow! Natasha, look now, you can see it from here through the window..." But even this tragedy can not distract Natasha from the "stupor" into which she had fallen when she learned of the news that her beloved Prince Andrei had been wounded.

It seems to me now, seeing the collage again, that I went quite literally for the shapes of flames, using tissue papers, foil and scraps of wallpaper. Drawing is foreign and intimidating to me and I had been making loose, abstract drawings just to get used to the feel of a pencil. These I ripped and have been using scraps of them in collages throughout the War and Peace Project.  ~Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment