Saturday, April 14, 2012

Collage 739

How I wished I loved in my heart the art I could love in my mind. Big, bold, epic, symphonic. But I love the small, the miniature, the detailed, the complex: the tiny boundaried world that has its sources in handiwork. Handiwork, crisply bordered or patched with cut geometrical shapes and defined by stitching, was what I watched my maternal grandmother do- in the quilts for our beds, the quilt for my doll, the embroidered and crocheted runners on the buffet, the corners of the tablecloths, and the handkerchiefs that primly blinked from her pocketbook.
from "The Paper Garden," by Molly Peacock. pages 18-19

No denying there's been an element of a quilting bee to the War and Peace Project. Albeit long-distance and slow-motion...Would we ever dare "stitch" the collages together for display?

...and an element of the epic- 447 collages? Every page of War and Peace? Really?

Lynn Waskelis
from page 735-736, volume 2 of original text
collage
made 2/3/12
Pevear/Volokhonsky translation page 1202-1203

No comments:

Post a Comment